HLASM - SVC = SuperVisor Call
The opcode of the SVC instruction is X'0A'.
- Invoke an operating system service or supervisor routine.
- An integer number in the range 0-255 (in the instruction).
- The processor generates an interrupt, which causes the processor to
branch to the operating system's interrupt handling routine.
- The interrupt handling routine examines the SVC number and invokes the
associated system service routine.
- What the invoked system service routine will do depends. Check the
appropriate manual to find out the interface specifications.
- The SVC instruction does not change the condition code. However,
when the processor handles the generated interrupt, a new PSW is
loaded, which may contain a different condition code. To the program
that issues the SVC instruction no change in condition code is
- All hardware supports the SVC instruction.
- Valid SVC numbers and their function are dependent upon the
operating system and the operational environment. See our
overview of SVC-routines which contains
documented (current and historical) SVC-codes.
YREGS * Define register names
SVC X'03' * Terminate current task (MVS)
To the Opcodes Overview.
To the English Homepage for Hlasm.com.
To the General Homepage for Bixoft and Hlasm.com.
This site is a member of WebRing.
You are invited to browse the
list of mainframe-loving sites.
Dinos are not dead. They are alive and well and living in data centers all
around you. They speak in tongues and work strange magics with computers.
Beware the dino! And just in case you're waiting for the final demise of
these dino's: remember that dinos ruled the world for 155-million years!
Dinos and other anachronisms
[ Join Now
| Ring Hub
Below you find the logo of our
and logos of the web-standards that this page adheres to.